Plant-Based Cashew Cheese
You ever find a recipe on a blog and there's like a 5000-word post before the recipe? You have to scroll through all of it, all the way to the bottom of the page, to get to the recipe itself? You ever read all of it? Neither do I. Usually, when I'm looking for a recipe it's because I'm hungry and I'm trying to figure out how to feed myself… not looking to delve into a treatise on your metaphysical struggle to create the perfect recipe.
Cashew “Cheese” Spread
- 2 Cups cashews, soaked in water for at least 2 hours
- 1 Tbsp red miso
- 1/4 Cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 Cup water
- Strain the soaked cashews from their soaking water, then add to a high-speed blender with the remaining ingredients.
- Blend on high for several minutes, until completely smooth.
- Cover, and allow to “age” at room temperature for 12 hours.
- This is a great, simple recipe to experiment with. If you want more “bite”, try adding some lemon juice. If a little heat sounds good, add some cayenne pepper.
- I've never made this recipe using anything other than my Vitamix. I don't know if you can achieve the same consistency without a high-speed blender. Soaking the cashews a bit longer may help.
- The longer you let this “age”, the tangier it gets.